Thursday, October 28, 2004

Head Bangers Balll

This has got to be the saddest argument in favor of voting for President Bush; it's from a Slate piece on who its employees and contributors are voting for:


Steven Landsburg, Economic Writer: Bush

If George Bush had chosen the racist David Duke as a running mate, I'd have voted against him, almost without regard to any other issue. Instead, John Kerry chose the xenophobe John Edwards as a running mate. I will therefore vote against John Kerry.

Duke thinks it's imperative to protect white jobs from black competition. Edwards thinks it's imperative to protect American jobs from foreign competition. There's not a dime's worth of moral difference there. While Duke would discriminate on the arbitrary basis of skin color, Edwards would discriminate on the arbitrary basis of birthplace. Either way, bigotry is bigotry, and appeals to base instincts should always be repudiated.

Bush's reckless spending and disregard for the truth had me almost ready to vote for Kerry - until Kerry picked his running mate. When the real David Duke ran against a corrupt felon for governor of Louisiana, the bumper stickers read, "Vote for the crook. It's important." Well, I'm voting for the reckless spendthrift. It's important again.


Literally, I read that and banged my head on my desk. Then, I re-read it just to make sure I read what I read and then banged my head on the desk. Then, I translated it into Indonesian and then re-translated it back into English just to make sure ... I banged my head. On a specific note: SenorC, this is the guy who wrote that tax article you mentioned.