Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Christianity is not a Burger King religion

Okay, now, I myself don't agree with the Catholic Church on some doctrines and practices, but I immensely respect it, and respect even more the late Karol Jozef Wojtyla, Pope John Paul II.

And to that end, I'd have to say Mr. Anderson and Cardinal George are dead on:

Carl A. Anderson, leader of the Knights of Columbus, spoke admiringly of John Paul II's courage, moral clarity and leadership, and said he hopes the next pontiff will share those traits. He said one of the pope's many roles is to challenge societies and individuals to do better.

"A good deal of the stress, if I may call it that, is the result of secularization in Europe and increasing secularization in the United States," Anderson said yesterday, on his way to catch a flight to Rome. "I don't think the next pope is going to accommodate a secularized culture in this fashion. To have a church which is totally compatible with the values of any culture I don't think is a sign of vitality in the church."

Cardinal Francis Eugene George of Chicago said this week: "I think a lot of the objections come from people simply being uncomfortable following the discipline of the faith."


Burger King might be a great place to stave off the munchies after a long sermon, but it ain't a model of Christianity (have it your way) of any denomination. The media would do well to pursue this angle in its coverage: religion is not about comforming the faith to the voice of the madding crowd but converting and taming the madding crowd to the Voice of Truth.