Friday, April 08, 2005

Sarcasm at its Finest

I have to mention a recent article on ESPN's Page 2. Jim Caple writes an incredibly sarcastic piece about the steroids scandal in baseball describing how similar problems in other sports are being ignored (most notably football). His article highlights two of the big problems I have had with the scandal – the hypocrisy of the coverage and the absurdity of the involvement of Congress in all this. The best part of the article is the following quote:

"Any matter, at any time? Enron, Halliburton, WMDs, Abu Ghraib, and you went with ... baseball. Way to go.''
-- The Daily Show's Jon Stewart responding to Rep. Tom DeLay's contention that Rule 10, clause 4C gives Congress the right to hold a hearing on any matter at any time


The interesting thing about all this though is that despite the scandal, I don’t think I have anticipated a baseball season this much since before the strike. Yes, I have been disillusioned by the allegations, and players like Mark McGwire have fallen a little in my eyes. But even with all that, I haven’t been this excited in a long time. And I am not alone. Spring training attendance was at record highs this year (unfortunately I didn’t contribute to that) as were TV ratings for Opening Day. My theory is that baseball fans are eager to put the scandal behind them and simply enjoy the game again. I wish the press was ready to do this also.