Monday, December 19, 2005

The Guilt Trip of the Century

From Bush's news conference regarding the NSA surveillance program:


"My personal opinion is it was a shameful act, for someone to disclose this very important program in time of war.

"The fact that we're discussing this program is helping the enemy.

"You've got to understand, and I hope the American people understand, there is still an enemy that would like to strike the United States of America, and they're very dangerous. And, you know, the discussion about how we try to find them will enable them to adjust. Now, I can understand you asking these questions. And if I were you, I'd be asking me these questions too.


"But it is a shameful act by somebody who has got secrets of the United States government and feels like they need to disclose them publicly."


You're right, Mr. President. It is our fault for demanding transparency of government in a democratic society, not your fault for pulling old Cold War CIA/KGB wire-tapping tricks on your own people. So I guess if another terrorist attack happens (god forbid!) that will be our fault, too, for wanting some sort of honesty from our own elected government officials, not your fault for still not having your act together after five years in office.