Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Chicken Little

I was going to get all worked up about the smoking ban that DC is dragging its feet on, but the more I think about it, the less I care. So what if the restaurant business is one of the only working environments left where smoking is allowed. I know that clients at a restaurant aren’t really more important than clients in any other situation, and therefore their desire to smoke shouldn’t carry extra weight – but who cares. I can ignore the fact that purely economic arguments don’t hold water when it comes to smoking indoors. So you won’t see me get all worked up that Mayor Williams is overestimating the negative consequences of the ban, knowing full well that New York and other major cities have passed it without a collapse of the economy.

I can look at all this without getting upset because I might not be in this city by the time the smoking ban, as it is proposed right now, will take effect. I might be gone by the time I have the opportunity to benefit from clean air. So for once, I am going to behave as selfishly as all those smokers that care more about their own addiction than the health and comfort of those around them.