Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Ron Howard: Troublemaker

I love watching people squirm when their beliefs are challenged, which is why I get such a kick out of the reactions of Christian groups over The Da Vinci Code or Harry Potter (not really a challenge to Christianity). I don’t think it is healthy for anyone to skate through life without ever seriously considering what they believe and why. Many churches, though surviving on faith, don’t actually trust that their followers can watch a movie or read a book without buying into whatever blasphemous idea is put before them. Since I wasn’t old enough to appreciate the controversy surrounding The Last Temptation of Christ, I am really excited for this spring’s release of the movie version of Dan Brown’s best-selling book.

It needs to be noted that there are churches using the book and movie as discussion topics among their faithful; and of course this is how it should happen. In fact, I think those that buy into the ideas put forward in the book should also challenge themselves and hear the criticisms. I have read some of the many responses that have come out to The Da Vinci Code book. Some were silly and pathetic, but a few really looked at history and challenged what characters in Dan Brown’s book were saying. This may sound obvious, but everyone who is interested should find out what both sides are saying.

At least I can sleep easy knowing that no matter how many protests there will be over the movie, there will not be the violence we have seen in other parts of the world over unholy portrayals of a religious deity.