Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Calm Before the Storm

There is a crazy story coming out of Europe. Apparently, a married couple, ahead of the wife's breast cancer treatment, began in vitro fertilization using her eggs and the husband's sperm. Since then, the couple has divorced and the husband no longer agrees to his sperm being used. The courts have so far upheld that the embryos cannot be used without his consent. If this decision is not overturned, the embryos will eventually be destroyed. (I am awaiting the firestorm from the Christian Right here in America.)

My first impression is that once a man commits himself, I don't see what control he should have. If this were a normal pregnancy (I feel strange using the word normal, but I think you know what I mean), he couldn't ask for the destruction of the embryo after having had sex and then changing his mind. I just fail to see how this is different just because the embryo hasn't been implanted yet.