Thursday, March 16, 2006

Genetically Perfect

I wanted to wait until I had read the whole article before I posted about it, but that just isn't going to happen anytime soon. So here it is anyway. The article talks about a couple that is suing a doctor for malpractice because he didn't recognize obvious signs of birth defects during pregnancy. The couple contends that they might have aborted the baby if they had known. While I understand anger over a doctor that doesn't even perform measurements of the woman's belly during pregnancy, their argument is one that doesn't sit well with me.

To be honest, I am not even sure why I have such a problem with this, except that I have a feeling it doesn't sit well with most of the voters in America either. Therefore, arguments like this can be used by conservatives to define debates in the culture wars. Beyond that though, I am having a hard time identifying why I think ending a pregnancy because of a birth defect is so much worse than doing so because you aren't ready to have a child. Part of it is probably that this attitude takes us down the road of demanding genetically perfect babies (has anyone seen Gattaca?).

Maybe after I finish reading the article, my thoughts will be a little clearer. I would love to hear other thoughts too, especially considering the great debates we have been having recently about abortion.