Thursday, May 25, 2006

Here I Go Again

I can’t even begin to get my head around what our government is thinking, but I can’t stop thinking about it.

So far, Congress has decided that it is okay for the NSA to spy on Americans without seeking a warrant. When these activities came to light, the President was emphatic that he needed this power and seemed unwilling to give it up.

Next, Congress decides that they should be free from searches, even with a warrant. At this, the President accepts their concerns, and asks that Congressman Jefferson’s files be sealed until a deal can be reached between Congress and the FBI.

Just so that we are clear: Congress doesn’t want the executive branch to conduct searches of them with a warrant, but they are perfectly fine with warrant-less searches of average Americans.

If the approval rating of every elected official doesn’t come crashing down real soon, then the public isn’t paying any attention (what a depressing world to live in; no faith in Congress, the President, or the public). I get the feeling that my last hope for any sort of faith in humanity rests in the courts. Chief Justice Roberts, please don't let me down.