Thursday, May 04, 2006

Wal-Mart Cure

There is new legislation being proposed to increase access to unions (hat tip, Bull Moose). The proposed legislation would require employers to allow unions to be set up if a majority of workers sign a card authorizing union representation. Although I am not a blind supporter of unions, I do support this policy for one major reason – Wal-Mart.

My biggest problem with unions is that they are too strong in certain areas (education) and retard progressive policies as well as often working to protect the wrong people. At the same time though, I recognize the impact they have had in this country to protect our workers, and I think they can still serve that purpose in certain places.

As I see it, Wal-Mart uses its market power to take advantage of its employees. At the same time, I don’t want to see government interference like the kind we saw in Maryland. Instead, if Wal-Mart employees were allowed to unionize (or, to say it differently, if Wal-Mart was punished for using intimidation to prevent unionization), they might be able to negotiate pay and benefits that are in line with other jobs in the industry. Every once in a while, we need to make sure that all workers in this country have the ability to unionize without fear of employer retribution.