Thursday, June 08, 2006

Mmm... Masking Agents

For me, it is always a constant struggle between remaining optimistic while trying not be too naive. The latest example of this is in baseball. I want to be excited about the efforts of Major League Baseball to actually get rid of steroids. At the same time, I realize that there are still plenty of ways around the tests. First of all, MLB doesn’t even look for human growth hormone. Beyond that though, I read an article (which I haven’t been able to find) that talked about how easy it still is to get around baseball’s anti-doping rules using masking agents.

It is because of this that I can’t get too excited about Jason Giambi’s comeback or Albert Pujols’ homerun outburst. While every sports writer is praising these athletes for remaining clean, I have to agree with Jeff Pearlman and wonder if they really are. I think I will always be skeptical of remarkable performances in baseball from now on. It is amazing to me though that sports writers aren’t. In fact, many of these writers are the same ones that were outraged when they found out how extensive performance enhancing drug use was in baseball, and now act like they are convinced that the sport is clean. I guess the easiest way to be righteous is to start by being naive.